Thursday, August 24, 2006

Administrative work

I don't have much time to write, but I just wanted to say hello to all of you who pop by this blog. This is the third week of my school's monthly semester. The third week is typically the busiest, as exams and grades are administered. I will be up very late tonight grading papers and taking care of some other administrative stuff so I'll actually be able to enjoy my weekend. This week has shown itself to be an emotionally difficult time, as I (and all of the other teachers) have had to fail the random student that has performed poorly or skipped too many classes. A couple of teachers have reminded me not to get too attached to the students.

Being 34 years old, and most of my students being college age, I tend to view them as children. I treat everyone like adults, but I often observe the younger ones and I am reminded of my teenage and college-age years. I then realize what an indifferent, wasteful, self-important moron I was during most of that time. I sometimes find a strange sort of paternal instinct and concern for these students rising up within me. Which is no doubt a sign that I need to get married and have some kids.

I'm learning very quickly that administrative work is less a matter of difficulty and more a matter of time management. A Korean friend today asked me if my job was difficult. My job takes up many hours a day and sometimes the workload is insane, but in a practical sense it's really not a difficult job. I'm not always a big multitasker, but I am learning a lot about time management. This is part of the "learning curve" I described previously. My mother has gotten on me recently about time management, or my lack thereof. I am going to have a long list of things to do differently when the next semester rolls around in September. I am actually very anxious for this time. It will make the difference between me working endlessly and having some free time to study Korean, build friendships and enjoy my life here. This semester is going to drive out many of procrastinator tendencies. I'll spare the details as my director may stumble upon this blog. Ha ha.

I've been surprised by how much I've missed New York the last couple of weeks. When I go to sleep at night, I often wake up thinking I'm still in New York. I sometimes have visions of walking around Central Park or singing in the choir at TSC. I miss doing chores at home that I despised. I almost miss dealing with people that annoyed me. I miss the frenzied pace at which many New Yorkers walk. For the most part, Koreans don't walk very fast. They walk quite slowly. This has been a surprise to me, considering the size and bustle of this city. (Although a notable exception to this is the Korean old lady that aggressively pushes you out her way in a geriatric sprint toward a closing subway or bus door. My Korean musician friend Koo Chung warned me about this before I left New York. Everyone here seems to be used to it, and I don't take it personally.) Also, many Koreans tend not to watch where they're going in crowded areas. At least in Shinchon. The result of all of this is that I often bump into people and sometimes I almost knock them over.

I have become resigned to the homesickness, although I hope it goes away soon. A few friends who have lived or studied abroad have told me by e-mail that what I'm experiencing is normal and that it can be overcome. I often have to remind myself of how unhappy I was a few months ago. I also remind myself that for the first time in years I actually have a regular job. And that makes me a little bit happier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home