Sunday, April 11, 2010

Almost the same


I went back and looked at my first blog entry from November 2005. It's interesting to compare stuff.

In 2005 I wrote: "If you already know me, you’ll know that I sometimes live a kind of interesting and unpredictable life."
2010: This hasn't changed so much.

2005: "Some potential employers may be looking at this blog, so I’ll try to keep it coherent. Can’t promise, but I’ll try."
2010: "My current employer may be looking at this blog, so I’ll try to keep it coherent. Can’t promise, but I’ll try."

2005: "I do a lot of different things, but the main thing I do for a living is working as a freelance proofreader and copy editor in the metro New York-New Jersey area. When there’s a lot of work, this can be a cool gig. However, when it’s slow, it’s really slow."
2010: I teach English as a foreign language, as a university lecturer in Seoul. "Cool gig" still applies, "slow" not so much.

2005: "I was also able to get in some Spanish practice. On days like this, much of my practice involves walking around Manhattan with an AM/FM walkman and listening to WADO 1280, the local Spanish station. At least the one that’s talk radio. It’s a curious discipline, sometimes entertaining, sometimes frustrating. Some programs are easier for me to understand than others. Whether or not this is the most effective way to improve my listening comprehension remains to be seen, but I’ve seen some progress and that has encouraged me to press on until something better comes along."
2010: Almost the same. Replace "Spanish" with "Korean," "Manhattan" with "Seoul" and "walkman" with "iRiver."

2005: "(I have to) finish my application for a recruitment organization so I can pursue teaching ESL in Asia."
2010: Done.

2005: "(I have to) query the school in Medellin, Colombia that a friend recommended about ESL teaching opportunities. Even though now it’s uncertain whether I’ll be able to travel to Medellin this winter."
2010: Still uncertain. Ha ha.

2005: And now I’ve got some work to do. After I take another walk around midtown before it gets really cold.
2010: I’ve got some work to do. And I have a cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home